Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Bass Alignment Trickery

Wish to understand better how multiple bass drivers used to get lower F3 and wondering if this observation works, where throw away some output db and account for filter to extend response lower. Know the xls's have low Fs's but usually quirky on their application - prob would have been easier in Drewsbrews free 2cuft but want sub to be compact. This example to use the free 1cuft flatpack from InDIYana24 and a peerless XXLS 10 (830842) that's been sitting on shelf for quite some time. Have a couple CSS APR10's, but to use one.... Probably throw a 450wpc icepower channel at it, have dsp's.

Attaching pic of without filter and one with. Throw away about 5db, though some reason vituixcad enclosure tool showing me more sensitivity that think 830842 has.

Comments

• There is never a free lunch. Trickery wins one thing at the expense of another.

Wolf
  • edited April 30

Maybe try sealed and throw watts at the bottom end to get the extension?

• edited April 30

Yeah I have xls12 that have in a sealed 1cuft but with a velodyne 600w class D amp that I'm sure has some kind of linkwitz transform type of circuit in it that works great, have had that thing around since 2008. Decommissioned it from family room duty with ultimax18 picked up during sdc tent sale.

Could do similar with dsp and lots of power and the xls subs are strong. Was curious if similar trade off, maybe not as drastic, done when using 3-4 woofers on a project. Was hoping to achieve smooth response without dsp'ing aside from simple 24db crossover.

One thing noticed at the event was few of the speakers that had multi bass drivers from middle of speaker to the floor all had some room interactions on bass response where makes me wonder if from being on concrete slab getting more than expected floor bounce response.

Meh, no rush I'll think about it for a bit. Can also just use for clam shelling 2 grs 10 HE sub drivers.

• @traw - you've got all the subs you might ever need! There was a Harmon-Kardon tech paper a few years ago that sort of proved that the best even bass coverage in most residential rooms could be attained with 2 subs only. That was even better than 4 subs. Concentrate on sub placement more than one box. Make multiple measurements all over the room.

Steve_Lee
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!